The annual Bath & West cheese show held in Shepton Mallet has now combined with the British Cheese Awards, which was started by Juliet Harbutt. Butlers Farmhouse Cheeses were involved at the inaugural event, and just saw the event celebrate its 25th anniversary. Staging took place on 29th May, followed by the judging and Awards dinner on 30th May.
The Awards have a lot of integrity; each cheesemaker is only allowed to enter one sample of each variety they make, and they are then judged using a set criteria. We are incredibly proud to say that Butlers Farmhouse Cheeses walked away with an array of awards; the gold awards meaning that the cheese reached perfection in every aspect of texture, taste and appearance.
We have been awarded the following for 2018:
- BEST NEW CHEESE – Stratford Blue
- GOLD - Blacksticks Blue
- GOLD - Stratford Blue
- GOLD - Trotter Hill Tasty Lancashire
- GOLD - Kidderton Ash Goats Cheese
- GOLD - Beacon Blue Goats Cheese
- GOLD – Gould’s Farmhouse Cheddar (matured and packed by us)
- SILVER - Farmhouse Lancashire
- SILVER – Inglewhite Goats Cheddar
- BRONZE – Button Mill (soft white)
- BRONZE – Farmhouse Cheddar
- BRONZE – Farmhouse Double Gloucester
- BRONZE – Farmhouse Red Leicester
- BRONZE – Farmhouse Tasty Lancashire
- BRONZE – Mrs Butlers Creamy Lancashire
After 15 years of making soft blue cheese, it was an honour to have both Blacksticks Blue and Stratford Blue recognised with Gold awards. Alongside side this, our traditional Farmhouse Lancashire and our amazing goats cheese Kidderton Ash, also picked up Gold awards.
Gill Hall, Owner, said “This was our best ever haul of prizes at one cheese show, and it gives me confidence that we are staying true to my Dad’s philosophy and remembering our roots: ‘it’s your quality that’s got you where you are today and it’s your quality that will keep you there.’ We try to remind ourselves of this every day.”